Sunday, November 11, 2012

October Outside Reading Assignment

The book I read for the 1st quarter book of choice was called, I am the Cheese, by Robert Cormier. It took me a while to read the book, but I finally finished yesterday, Saturday November 10th. I read all 224 pages of the book. On a rating from 1-10, 10 being the best, I would give I am the Cheese a 6.

I gave I am the Cheese a six out of ten. To me, the book was confusing. It would go back and forth from what appeared to be an interview with a physiologist, to Adam’s journey by bike to find his father. I was also confused about why his father had to change their last name, almost got killed in a car bomb, and then later had a newspaper write about their family “dying” in a car accident. Some of the diction could have been better, although some of the word choices were superb, helping to create imagery (such as when the dog was attacking the bike) and mood. I also thought the plot of the book lacked suspense. For me, suspense is what makes a novel interesting, easy to read, and a page turner. However, I did enjoy the similarity in the beginning and ending of the book. The introduction of the book was Adam riding a bike, the book concluded with Adam riding the bike again. One of the main reasons I chose this book was because of the title. I was curious as to how it would intertwine with the plot of the story. I wish the relationship between the title and the plot would have been a little clearer than relating the line “The cheese stands alone” from the song, “The Farmer in the Dell” and have Adam realizing “he is the cheese.” I like happy endings in the book, where the protagonist gets whatever they are searching for. I did not enjoy how Robert Cormier made Adam’s (Paul Delmonte) father, “David” die after Adam traveled by bike for miles and miles just to get to the hospital and have the doctor give a sad look every time Adam brings up his father.. I also thought the ending was confusing. I could not tell if Adam is in his metal home, or if the characters he met in his journey, were real or imaginary. Something that Robert Cormier did very well was creating a twist. Right when you think some information is about to occur, you receive irrelevant information. However the information that was given, did not create suspense to the extent that I enjoy. Overall, I thought the book was very confusing. However, the confusion is not necessarily a bad thing in my opinion. I like a book that makes me thinks about things in a deeper meaning and allows me to interpret events. The deeper thoughts was the reason I gave I am the Cheese, a six out of ten.

No comments:

Post a Comment